Dr.Guttler’s Patient Thyroid Blog Post: Can PET/CT prevent surgery in Class III atypical thyroid nodules?
A.Piccardo et al
Endocrine 2020 69-533-561
1. 111 patients were classified as Class III cytology. 67Class IIIA and 44 Class IIIB.
2. 73 PET/CT negative nodules 4/73 were low risk papillary cancers.
3. All follicular thyroid cancers were positve by PET/CT.
4. All class IIIA with low risk ultrasound were nodular goiter nodules.
5. PET/CT is a reliable rule out test for thyroid cancer with high NPV for thyroid cancer in class III A and B nodules
6. In addition to cytology, TiRAD ultrasoud, and molecular markers, a negative PET/CT could add to the conclusion the nodule was benign.
7. I have added PET/CT to cytology,Ultrasound and molecular markers in my quest to give every patient on the surgery list with class III cytology even if the Ultrasound may be higher risk to have alternative minimally invasive radiofrequency ablation in my office.
8. Call me at 310-393-8860 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ask for Alicia.